Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fishing with a new Cameraman

Yesterday downriver Robert and I found ourselves in a dilemma first thing in the morning.

The day before while horseback riding we had discussed, “what are we going to do tomorrow?”

We came to the conclusion that we should just sleep on the issue… Do we go fishing in the mountains, or go horseback riding into the timber towards Tollgate.

So it was decided that I would give Robert a telephone call at 7:00 a.m. sharp, and we would make our decision concerning… "what are we going to do today?"

Came to the conclusion that we had horseback riding available to us most days, but with summer vacation winding away, we should make the wiser choice and use our full day "OFF" for an out-of-town fishing trip. I had told Robert that I would show him a fishing pond on the summit of the Blues or we could go work a pond that had been stocked with triploid rainbow trout.

I had a few ranch chores to deal with, so after taking care of horses, (still breeding Kootenai and Rusty), and making a quick business trip into town, I dropped by Robert and Sherry’s on the way back from town to let Robert know that I was ready to go…

We had a wonderful ride pass Pilot Rock, and up into the mountains, saw a few deer, and the flora was gorgeous as we gain altitude going into the National Forest. When we got to Notellum Trout Pond, I gave Robert a hand replacing the leader on his fly line. Robert then headed for the pond and on his second cast brought in a legal size trout, which we released so as to creel 10 larger ones for the day. I lined up my rod and it took maybe a half hour before we saw another fish, I hooked a fair size triploid and creeled it.

Anyway, we fished on, Robert caught one more legal size, I caught a couple more triploids, while getting quite a few strikes then we took our lunch break in order to give the fish a break. During lunch I started thinking that I had brought along a 4-wt full sink line so we lined up Roberts rod with that after lunch and immediately he started hooking fish on his first or second cast after our lunch. Robert did hook up to a nice triploid a little later, but lost it in the weeds in the process of landing it. :>(
At 3:30 we felt that it was time to head home, after we had made two more cast apiece. Robert made a cast, with no hookup, I made a cast with no luck. Robert made his second cast with no luck, then I made my last cast of the day and found a triploid on my hook looking for an invitation for dinner with Kittee and I. After that cast we packed our gear, hit the road, and clean our fish along the way in a cold, clear running stream.

Now in the process of the day, Robert wanted to get a picture of me with our first triploid catch, so I agreed – For The Record. In the process, the camera kept taking funny pictures, and Robert wasn’t sure what was going on… why the view finder kept showing motion instead of the still shots he had just made. I looked at it and saw that I had left the mode on video from the evening before when I was taking pictures of Rusty and Kootenai breeding. This is what we got… A couple of Good Ole Boys out fishin.

;>)







Tight lines and good fishin,
Dale

No comments: