Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Break '10 is over & Duke is sweeping the NCAA

Go Duke!!! ~~~ Go Carolina!!!
Having been raised in North Carolina, being an Ole ACC fan,
it is hard for me to turn my back on these two teams,
and my ole pal Dr. Bob who played for Duke
in his undergrad days while being tall.
Go Duke!!! ~~~ Go Carolina!!!

I just finished my nice long stretch of Spring Break 2010. It actually began on Thursday the 18th as school was out of session that day and also Friday the 19th. What a break.

Thursday, I made a road trip with the MacHi Track team to Pendleton for a major division meet. It was a beautiful day for running track events. After dropping the students off at PDT High School I dropped the trip bus off at the Caterpillar shop to be worked on. Kittee came out to the CAT shop, picked me up and we headed for downtown PDT for a very good lunchbreak. I spend a bit of time running around town buying our 2010 Pendleton Round Up tickets, some Stretch Magic for tying flies, and some spicy Bloody Mary mixer to make red beers when I got home, and for Spring Break. Round Up tickets- there were NONE available for Friday and Saturday's rodeo, and only a few for Wednesday and Thursday. I bought tickets for Thursday's show and there are no seats yet assigned. What I got was a voucher for money paid, as the Round Up Grandstands are being rebuilt and added on to for this year's BIG event.
This should be quite the show year for the 100th Anniversary. This year will make my 57th year of showing up at the Pendleton Round Up.

Friday, Kittee had Milton-Freewater city court in the a.m. and that afternoon we did some horseback riding with Downriver Robert in our riverside arena. That same afternoon, our dear friend Kasey, home from college, dropped by and had her first Rusty ride. She is now only the second person to ride Rusty, so that was exciting to watch, not scary. After Kasey settled into the saddle, she kept saying "Dale you can ride Rusty... he is easy." I told Kasey that she can ride him all she wants to, and I hope by the cool of autumn I will be riding him. Our handsome Arabian stallion - sire of Summer.

A frame from our YouTube video of Kasey's - Rusty ride
and YouTube video of Kasey's - Rusty ride II

A beautiful end-of-winter afternoon.

Saturday and Sunday Kittee started coming down with a cold, the weather was beginning to turn back into winter, so we spent most of our time indoors those days. Saturday evening I missed all of the Carolina B-ball game but saw that we won and are still in the NIT Tournament. Hip-hip-Hooray.

Sunday we had a few sun breaks and I was able to get a full blooming photo of our driveway daffodils.

as once again Sunday the mountains to the east went snow capped.


The first part of the week –Spring Break– the weather was early spring-like crappy, cool, some sunshine with showers.

Monday
and Tuesday I bussed the MacHi Girls’ Softball team to Boardman, OR for a two-day tournament. The eastern view of the snow capped mountains as we left Milton-Freewater was a beautiful eastern Oregon Blue Mtns. site. Traveling west on I-84 the Washington Cascade snow capped mountains were visible most of the way to Boardman in the morning sun. There the weather was favorable, mostly clear and dry with plenty of pollen in the air, when we got to Boardman. Monday with an afternoon shower, the hay fever attack was not too bad, but Tuesday being a very nice sunshiny day, the hay fever clobbered me. I had to spend half my day watching the ball games from inside the bus. The MacHi girls made a winning sweep of the tournament, with a slight close call -Pilot Rock comeback- half way through the last game. Go Girls!!

Wednesday
I was pretty whipped by the Monday – Tuesday hay fever attacks, so I spent most of the day Wednesday and part of Thursday indoors working on our Walla² Fly Fishers Facebook site.












The Facebook site is progressing well and on Friday and Saturday we had some splendid fly hatches around the ranch, so that gave me some great specimens to expand the fishing club’s site with fly hatch info.

Thursday we had a pretty horses sunset to enjoy.

Friday we also had a good day on horseback in our arena. Kittee still has a sore foot from when she sprained it a couple of weeks ago so she has been riding easy in the stirrups, and Misty and I are working more and more on leg and rein control, without using the bit very much. We were getting good at that last year before I had a wreck on Nugget and busted some ribs. Friday evening I polished off the day watching Duke win over Purdue...

This one was not a nail biter...
Saturday, we just hung out around the ranch doing one small chore after another. I have been working on our pastures, Kittee worked a couple of horses in the round pen and washed Sunny’s mane.

Sunny is an Arabian boarder from AZ and her mom Jaz has given Kittee permission to ride her through the summer. Sunny and her sister Raji have been here for almost two years, and will be returning to AZ after the summer heat wave for Jaz and family to ride.

Saturday we celebrated Summer’s eight-month birthday.

Sunday after a breakfast of sausage gravy biscuits, eggs and coffee we headed out to groom our rides for the day. Downriver Robert came up and worked on Nugget and thereafter we had a most enjoyable riding session. Again I worked with Misty not using stirrups or reins in the arena. After that bit of schooling we went out to pasture, where I found Misty a bit unwilling to follow my cues so she really got a good workout. I too enjoy these arena & field workouts as it is a time of connection with my horse, and a chance to work up a sweat for both of us. Lately I have had to downsize my blue jeans, and that is feeling better.
I did get to watch the Duke against Baylor game from the get go Sunday, that was a good game.

Once again the mountains to the east got snow capped Sunday night. Made it cool getting back on the bus, going back to work at 6:30 a.m. Monday.

So all and all, over the Spring Break I had a chance to get most of the pastures I wanted to re-sown, I got the garden sprayed with Roundup and a few rows burnt off with the Red Devil torch, and found that as the lawn grass is getting taller, that I have a dead 8-year old battery in the lawn tractor. Gonna have to go to town soon for a battery and propane.

Now with the garden ⅓ prepped, as soon as it stops raining, I can spread horse manure across the burned off rows and in a couple of weeks I will be tilling and planting... fresh veggies for '10.

And that the way it has been around the ranch
during Spring Break ’10 --- Dale

No comments: