Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Summer is 4 months old ~or~ winding up summer

Once again snow has covered the Blue Mtns. just east of the ranch today. I understand from talking with my boss that the Breaks of the So. Fork Walla Walla/ Tollgate (where Kittee and I were married) received 3" fresh snow this a.m.. Wind and some rain is blowing stiffly around our country and with this last weekend’s beautiful weather having past, it really feels like we are now headed for November with its gray, cold weather in our faces. Talking with my sister on Sunday evening -her birthday- she reminded me that we were both getting a bit older. I told her that I could feel it as I now feel the cold, more than ever, and joints ache... Burrr, looks/feels like winter is heading this way.

Last evening Kittee and I were very saddened to hear that our dear friend Cliff, in Walla Walla had died. This also added a chill to the pending winter, as Cliff always had a warm smile and a chuckle to go with everyday we spent horsing around with him and his wonderful wife Lila. Cliff, we will miss you; rest in peace dear friend.

With the change of seasons, I finished my over-the-road school sports/activities trips for this season, making trips last week to Baker, Pendleton, and Pasco, WA. Today there were some bus trips going over the Blues and having to be snow chains equipped. Yep, there’s snow on them thar hills.

As November rapidly approaches I am now feeding the herds twice a day, most days and will have to be on standby soon for those days that the snow blows, and the herds are fed 3 times a day. Good news… Sunday, I found a wooly worm in the haystack and it had only two very small black bands on its head and tail ends. Maybe this winter will be a bit milder and have a little less snow than the past couple of winters we have had here.

The other big news around the ranch this past week is Summer turned 4 months old and she learned to trailer load on Sunday. Oh she was so cute (again), learning to go UP and DOWN the trailer ramp. Horses don’t see very well right in front of their nose. Summer, for what she could see, knew that the way into the horse trailer was higher that the ground she had always walked upon. Like all horses, seeing a trailer for the first time, she was not sure about the world inside that big darken cave on wheels. First thing I did was to load Goldie, Summer’s mom into the trailer… that was easy. Goldie and I did that a half dozen times with Summer watching. It still appeared to be a mystery to Summer, as to what was going on with that mobile cave thing. After loading and off-loading Goldie a number of times, I put a flake of hay in the head of the trailer and walked away. Goldie was very happy to go in and out of the trailer at that point to grab bites of hay, and sometimes she would share with Summer on her way out. Last week Summer also started eating “large” mouthfuls of hay instead of her usual nibble portions.

After awhile of going this route with Goldie and Summer, I tied Goldie at the front of the trailer, put a halter and lead on Summer, and with help of Kittee working the butt rope, we began coaxing Summer up the trailer ramp and into the trailer. Again and again it was quite amusing to watch Summer making high steps trying to find the elevation change of the ramp.

again, and again...
After about a dozen entries we closed Goldie, Summer, myself up in the trailer, and Kittee drove around the pasture a bit so Summer and I could get the feel of being "trailered" around. I now know why horses can get a case of nerves (very sweaty) when being trailered for any distance.

Also while working with Summer on lead, I usually put a rope around her girth and cinch it up “tight” to give her the feeling of being cinched, hopefully to make her ready for the time to saddle-up, get ready to ride.

I polished off Sunday afternoon, working with Travis (our horse trainer) and Misty mare in the round pen, working on quick turn maneuvers, and working my horse at a higher speed. I am still a bit light footed on the gittyup, with my broken ribs telling me to hang on. It made a good workout for both Misty and me for this day, and I realize we have a way to go together before we start chasing cattle around the ranch. Kittee had ridden Derby earlier in the day, so she just sit back and watched Misty and I during this workout.

Other than these big happening during the past week around the ranch, Saturday Kittee took Nugget out to a Women's (horsy club) Only trail ride/obstacle course outing. She said that Nugget was the champ of the day, taking the lead in most events, as well as being his usually horsy eye candy. That’s Nugget, it is hard to find a horse better that he. I looked long and hard to find that horse for Kittee. What a guy!

Now, as I get ready to close this blog positing I look outside the office window and see that we are once again covered with sunshine and clear blue skies.

♫ Home on the range, where the skies are not cloudy all day ♫

Our northeast Oregon trout season comes to a close at dark on Saturday 10/31, so the balance of this week after my bus runs, I hope to be working in the backyard –river– inviting all the legal size trout I can find, back to the house for dinner.

And that’s the way it is... around the ranch these days.

Happy Trails --- Dale

No comments: