Monday, June 8, 2009

All aboard... and away she goes.

This evening we made it to the Pasco AmTrak station in good time. Mom's train pulled out of the station about 15 minutes late headed for Spokane and points east.


Kittee was able to get home in time to go to Pasco with us and it was a good farewell. Mom was not going to get her sleeper car/ compartment until she got to Spokane, this news was a bit distressing, but some folks that were taking an off train break told us they would watch out for her/ help her get around, that made me feel much better. We know she will have a good ride back home.

This last day on the ranch for Mom was pretty full, considering that she has been stricken with hay fever during her visit this year so she had to spend much of her time indoors. But today I had her out with my gentle mares to hand feed cookies and pet them.
















I was hoping to get a pic of Mom with the Palomino Amigos, but they are getting a bit sweet pasture grass fat and independent. They wouldn't even follow me to the gate to visit Mom and get a hand feeding of cookie with petting from us. Silly horses... sometimes they have a mind of their own. We haven't got a Rusty-Goldie foal yet, but I think Mom did enjoy being around our other thousand pound pets and 7 cats. The rest of our day went very smoothly and relaxing around the ranch, working at this and working at that, spending the day chatting with Mom after I returned home from my a.m. acupuncture treatment. These treatments are going well now that I have had four rounds with the needles; I no longer wake up many times during the night with sharp back and leg pain. WOW! what a relief, and I thought I was going to have to live life in pain.

Sunday, Kittee and I rode horses in the riverside arena, just really feeling good about connecting with our rides. Again this riding session I spent most of my time with feet out of the stirrups, and reins hanging freely around Misty's neck. It was fun going through the arena's obstacle courses and trotting in figure 8's. Look Ma! No hands, no feet holding on... to the horse. After lunch we waited for Aunt Pat to show up for an afternoon farewell visit with Mom. We had a relaxing visit just sitting around chatting and having root beer floats for refreshment. Aunt Pat left before dinner and I prepared a seafood Alfredo/ pasta dish that Kittee and Mom just kept raving over. I think I will be preparing that dish again for dinner.

Got some good news for you girls back east. Aunt Pat will probably be making a trip to the east coast to visit Mom, family and friends in July as she and Mom are planning to go to the 150th Anniversary of the founding of the Oak Plains Church in way-eastern No. Carolina. These two were present at the 75th Anniversary of the church as well... many, many years ago.

While everyone was posing for pictures... Kittee and I even got into the mix, still wearing our grimy horsey riding clothes.

Saturday, was a day much like the Sunday above; morning horseback riding, visiting with Mom, then cousin Worth and LaBelva came up for an afternoon farewell visit with Mom. Yep, we got family pictures of that occasion. Forgive Worth and I for having hat hair... Mom's wish, we take off our hats.

So this is about how the last week around the ranch has gone. It has been really nice having Mom coming and going over the past two week, and having the Pendleton family out to the ranch sharing the good times.

School's out for summer, and I do remember, just how good that feels. I finished the school bus driving routine last Wednesday with an early afternoon school release. Yep, I have already signed my contract to return to the job next year. Working in the public school system... what a job ;>)

Now I'm back to taking care of the ranch, playing and caring for horses, trying to keep the garden and fence lines clean. Hoping to let you know very soon that Goldie has her foal delivered.

Happy Trail,
Dale

No comments: