Sunday, January 20, 2008

NOAA says...

Stardate 012008

The weather forecast for today... is snow, 2-4 inches of the stuff.

Yep, it is still January. Spent yesterday, working up a good sweat, tilling the garden and dreaming of pulled fresh corn, tomatoes, peas, onions, and carrots, etc... today it is turning into January again.

This morning as I was waking up, Kittee asked if it was time for coffee. I said yep, in about 20 minutes it should be ready. It appeared to be quite bright outside, but not too sunny.

I jumped out of bed put the coffee on, and looking out the windows, I see it was lightly white. Still in my housecoat and slippers I went out to the barn to feed the horses, split some kindling while coffee was brewing and found that the National Weather Service was right. Snow by morning.

Today Kittee has plans of going to her office in Pendleton, to work on a case going to trial on Tuesday. I have this feeling that she should be treated very kindly today, starting with coffee in bed. By the time I got back from the barn, to the bedroom with coffee in hand she was up and heading for the fireplace. The fire was blazing well when she got there, so she settled into her rocker for the warmth of the fire and coffee. I started working on breakfast of hot biscuits, my special spicy winter sausage gravy, with fried eggs- over easy (Kittee's favorite). Mmmm... good stuff on a cold winter's morning. Kittee made a quick trip through the snow to grab the Sunday morning paper. These breakfast usually hold us through lunch and all the way to dinner.



Whelp, so much for another nice spring-like day outside and going for our usually Sunday horseback ride, and/or getting any outside work done.
Looks like the perfect day to keep the home fire burning until Kittee gets back from PDT, and I think I shall work on at website for my upriver buddy Dale Cosper. We have plans to get together this Tuesday a.m. to see what he thinks about the work I have done and hopefully get his horse ranch website uploaded to the Internet asap.

So this is how the day looks as it progresses, I feed the horses mid-day, work on this blog and Dale's website, while keeping the home fire burning. Gee, it is a bit cool back here in the office away from the fire, but a good day to kick back and stay home.
I feel sorry that Kittee has to go to the city today. More and more to stay out of the city is an accomplishment, even though last weekend we did go to the big town of Seattle, doubleU-A for a Region 5 (AHA) Arabian Horse convention. Now that we enjoyed, and learned a lot. A particularly good seminar was one that addressed foaling.
Guess you might say we have really turned into horsey, country type folks sitting here with a dozen horses in northeast Oregon, for the past few years; it feels good.

Glad I got that outside garden work done yesterday, everything has turned white out there now.
High temperatures for tomorrow and the rest of the week is calling to be in the mid to upper 20's. This will be the coldest week of our winter season. Burrrrr
Yep, it is still January.

a day in the life at the ranch -- Dale

No comments: