Thursday, July 26, 2007

Turning a corner

Stardate - 072607
It was yesterday that I realized that I may not ride my wonderful palomino "Derby" again through the wide open
spaces of northeast Oregon. Derby a fine riding horse, a Greatgrand-get of the one and only(s) Poco Bueno and his sire King P-234 -- both American Quarter Horse legends. Last Friday, July 13th while riding a wide open field he went into a bucking fit. Kittee gave me a score of 80 for my endurance and posting the ride beyond the 8 second buzzer, but without a pickup rider to take me out of the saddle, I had to take exit only to bite the dirt. It was an exhilarating ride... from a walk, to a jog, to a canter, to a 8-10 second buck-er-roo finish. I did get back into Derby's saddle, we rode a little more, but I wish I were 40 years younger now. This was not my first buckaroo experience with Derby, it was the best. While my 38 year old spirit really enjoyed that short ride (like I have never had before) and its buckaroo experience, my 58 year old body got hurt...busted ribs that now grind together when I lay down. I got hurt; I must admit this to myself. I learned eight seconds is a lot of time to think about a ride like that but, Kittee says she doesn't want to think about me living in a wheelchair after a next bucking Derby ride.
I'm saddened.
The rest of this 07 riding season I will now go back to riding my gentle, mild mannered Paint mare "Misty", and begin training my palomino Quarab filly "Goldie" to run and play with me next year.
Derby may now be just my pasture pet for the long term future. OH what a sweet ride he has been.
I love my horse.

Dale - a day in the life at McKuster Ranch.

No comments: